As I mentioned in my first IASOS post, I plan to publish my Greek-myth inspired romance novel, That Fatal Kiss, later this year. I was shooting for the first day of fall in 2013, but shit got real at work, and then there was the A to Z Challenge and, as I whined about in my Reflections post, a Guy ('cause there's always a Guy) so...yeah. I'm thinking not that day. Probably. Though you never know, I may still be able to pull it off by then, though I'm more interested in putting out a quality book than I am in keeping to my original deadline. As long as I can get TFK out into the world by my birthday* this year, I reckon I'll be satisfied. (*That's December 21, in case you're feeling like you might wanna get me something.) (Or, you know, buy my book.) (No pressure.)
'K, so, I've picked up some books on what folks gotta do to independently publish their stuff (I'm focusing on e-Publishing and print-on-demand paperbacks). From Catherine Ryan Howard's "Self-Printed 2.0" I got a lot of great info (it's really a fabulous resource, I must say), and have put together a rough to-do list for publishing my Greek-myth romance. All you indie-authors out there, how does this list look to you? Am I missing something super important? Are any items below in totally the wrong order of needing to-be-done? I'm super interested in feedback from folks who've already gone through this
- Decide Release Month/Date (Pffffft. Fail.)
- Research/Hire Book Cover Designer
Research/Hire Copyeditor(This bit's done, W00T!)
- Wrap up copyeditor's changes, as desired (accepting/rejecting changes).
- Research/Hire Proofreader
- Set/Advertise release date
- Set up mailing list for when book's released?
- Determine manufacturing costs, use this to determine list price.
- Format eBook/print book
- ISBN numbers for all formats (Unless provided?)
- Order proof copy
- Online “Cover Reveal” (scope for BFF bloggers willing to join in on pimping TFK)
- Solicit Reviews from BFF bloggers/book bloggers?
- Annoy BFF bloggers further by asking them for blog tour?
- Promotional give-away(s)? (Set this up 2 months in advance of release? That's too soon?)
- Order proof copy (copies) of final version
- Develop Book Page on Blog With
- Book Cover Image
- Back cover blurb
- E-mail sign up to receive info
- How much/where sold
- Set up Google Alert for my book title + name
- Once book’s finalized, upload to online sellers
- Update main page sideboard w/links to book
- When ready, send “Out now!” e-mail to mailing list, update site w/same news
- Set up Author Page on Amazon? (When? How soon is too soon?)
- Update Twitter profile w/news on book. (When?? How soon’s too soon??)
Um...so, yeah. Help?